NEC Merit Scholarship for Students of NER 2023 – North Eastern Council (NEC) has released official notification for grant of NEC Merit Scholarship the Financial year 2023-24
Students of the North East (NE) Region undergoing studies in different disciplines at different levels in Institutions inside as well as outside the North-East but within the country can apply online.
About the Program
- The North Eastern Council (NEC) under the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region, Govt. of India invites applications for NEC Merit Scholarship for Students of NER 2023-23 from students pursuing diploma/degree/postgraduate/MPhil/PhD Programs
- Scholarship aims at providing financial aid to students of North-Eastern Region undergoing studies in various disciplines at a recognized Indian institution
Name of Scholarship
- Total No of Scholarship: 1600
- Awarding Authority: North Eastern Council, Ministry of Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region, Govt. of India, Shillong
Number of Scholarship
- Arunachal Pradesh – 209 [Diploma: 20, Degree: 130, PG Degree: 52, M.Phil / PhD: 7]
- Assam – 320 [Diploma: 30, Degree: 200, PG Degree: 80, M.Phil / PhD: 10]
- Manipur – 192 [Diploma: 18, Degree: 120, PG Degree: 48, M.Phil / PhD: 6]
- Meghalaya – 192 [Diploma: 18, Degree: 120, PG Degree: 48, M.Phil / PhD: 6]
- Mizoram – 192 [Diploma: 18, Degree: 120, PG Degree: 48, M.Phil / PhD: 6]
- Nagaland – 192 [Diploma: 18, Degree: 120, PG Degree: 48, M.Phil / PhD: 6]
- Sikkim – 111 [Diploma: 10, Degree: 70, PG Degree: 28, M.Phil / PhD: 3]
- Tripura – 192 [Diploma: 18, Degree: 120, PG Degree: 48, M.Phil / PhD: 6]
- Application Start Date: 31st December 2023
- Scheme Closing Date Open till : Not Available
- Defective Verification Open till : Opening Soon
- Institute Verification Open till : Opening Soon
- The scholarship is open only to a student who is a permanent resident of any of the North Eastern States.
- For candidates belonging to Academic Year 2023-24 and onwards, the scholarship under this scheme shall be disbursed only through National Scholarship Portal (NSP). However, the students, who already have been receiving scholarships before these rules come into force, shall continue to receive their scholarships as per the prevailing procedure till end of their scholarships tenure.
- Once selected, the scholarship shall be available to a selected student for the prescribed duration of a course subject to fulfillment of renewal conditions, as specified under Para 6 of these rules. Extension of scholarship beyond the prescribed period of study will not be entertained.
- At the time of availing the scholarship, the student must not be in receipt of any other scholarship/financial assistance from any other source. A sponsored candidate under full employment during the period of study or working/in service candidates shall not be eligible to receive the scholarship.
- The student must fulfill the following eligibility criteria in the previous qualifying examination for consideration of scholarship:
- Diploma – HSLC/HSSLC/Secondary School Leaving /Senior Secondary Leaving certificate exam from a recognised State/Central board with minimum 60% marks in aggregate
- Degree – HSSLC/Senior Secondary Leaving certificate examination from a recognised State/Central board with minimum 60% marks in aggregate.
- Post Graduate – Degree level examination in any discipline (BA/BSc/BE/B Tech/MBBS/LLB/BCA/BBA etc. of any recognized Institute/ University with minimum 60% marks in aggregate
- /PhD – PG degree from any recognized University with minimum 60% marks in aggregate
- The selected students will receive stipend under this scheme as per the rates given below –
- For Diploma Level Course – INR 20,000 per annum
- For Degree Level Course – INR 22,000 per annum
- For PG Courses – INR 25,000 per annum
- For M.Phil/PhD – INR 30,000 per annum
How to Apply?
- The applicants are required to fill up an application form on National Scholarship Portal (NSP) (in), within the prescribed date for receipt of application, following due procedure/guidelines mentioned thereon.
- They may also fill up the application form using NSP Mobile app or UMANG Mobile App
- The applicants are, however, encouraged to apply at the earliest as it will provide them opportunity to make corrections/updating etc. in their application, if suggested by the verification authority.
- The applicant must be in possession of following documents at the time of application. He/She may be asked to upload a scanned copy of these documents as per requirement or extant rules /guidelines.
- Permanent Residential Certificate (PRC) issued by the Dy. Commissioner /Addl. Dy. Commissioners/ Sub-divisional officers of civil sub-divisions in NE States; except Sikkim where Certificate of Identification (COI) issued by the respective Deputy Commissioner in the Govt. of Sikkim to its Permanent residents. Certificate from any other authority will not be accepted. (Mandatory)
- Income Certificate issued by the Competent Authority (Mandatory)
- Bank Account Pass Book – Account must be in the name of applicant (Optional)
- Details of qualifying examination (Mandatory)
- Synopsis signed by the project guide / Director (Research) or any official authorized by the Institute/University in the case of M.Phil/Ph.D. candidates (Mandatory).
- Any other document may be required under NSP guidelines.
- The merit lists will be drawn from among finally verified applications as per the scheme guidelines and after following the laid down procedure on the NSP.
- Selection of students for M. Phil and Ph. D. will be done on the basis of topic of research/Synopsis which has relevance to the problems/issues related to NE Region
- The scholarship is purely on merit basis. The merit list will be prepared exclusively on the basis of marks obtained by the candidate in the qualifying exams and complying with the level-of-course-wise slots allotted to the states.